Chronicle of war:

Alexey Fyodorov
Alexey Fyodorov30. 3. 1901 - 9. 9. 1989

Alexey Fyodorov was Commander of Chernigov- Volhynia partisan unit, First Secretary of the Chernigov and Volhynia regional underground party, Maj.-Gen.

He was born on March 30, 1901 in Lotsmanskaya Kamenka (now in the city of Dnepropetrovsk) into a peasant family. Ukrainian. A member of the CPSU (B) / Communist Party since 1927. He completed four years of elementary school.

In 1920 he volunteered for the Red Army. He took part in the Civil War. From 1924 he worked to construct the railway. In 1932 he graduated from Chernigov Civil Engineering College. In 1932-1938 was in the trade union and political work, from 1938 – First Secretary of Chernigov Regional Committee of the Communist Party (Bolsheviks) of the Ukraine.

When military actions unfolded in the Chernigov the Central Committee of Communist Party (Bolshevik) approved the composition of the Chernigov Regional underground party. In September 1941 A. Fyodorov became the first secretary of the underground regional committee, head of the regional headquarters of the partisan movement, commander of Chernigov region partisan units.

During those terrible years he revealed a talent of a prominent organizer of guerrilla warfare, one of the founders of the guerrilla tactics. Under his leadership, guerrilla forces become compounds which provided significant combat operations to destroy enemy personnel and equipment.

In 1942 Chernigov underground party committee established relationship with the Central Committee of the Communist Party (Bolshevik), which contributed to the further development of the partisan movement in the region. In winter and spring of 1942 Chernigov regional joint force commanded by A. Fyodorov had a number of new military operations. Despite the fact that the enemy had blocked all the roads of Elensky forest – locations of Chernigov guerrillas, they found a way out.

By March 1942 Chernigov guerrilla group led by A. Fyodorov, had 16 fights, killed about a thousand Germans, 33 highway and railway bridges, derailed five enemy trains, and blew five stores and two plants. In addition, in order to enhance mass political work among the population of the occupied areas, Fyodorov’s partisan unit issued 33 leaflets with a total circulation of 500,000 copies prior the November of 1942.

The Germans made repeated attempts to destroy Fyodorov’s partisan unit, taking for this purpose the front parts reinforced by armored vehicles and artillery. But the guerrillas were unbeaten.

On March 23, 1942 7,000 Nazi soldiers and officers, together with the policemen were thrown against the 900 guerrillas to surround and destroy them. At 7:00 in the morning the Germans began their offensive on the guerrilla camp on four sides. Fierce battle ensued. Two hours later, the guerrillas retreated into the forest. Enemy ceased shelling not to be beaten. By this time over 200 enemy soldiers were killed and wounded.

Despite the sacrifices, the Nazis stubbornly crept forward. It was incessant fighting. At 2 pm Chernigov guerrillas managed to find a gap in the encircling and quietly withdraw their main force. At nightfall, they left Elinsky forest and entered the Orel region.

By the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet on May 18, 1942, for exemplary performance of combat tasks in the guerrilla struggle against the Nazis behind the enemy lines, his courage and heroism, regimental Commissar Alexey Fyodorov was awarded the honorary title of Hero of the Soviet Union, the Order of Lenin and the Gold Star medal (№ 746).

Chernigov guerrillas’ Fighting more successfully deployed in the summer and autumn of 1942. By the beginning of 1943 the compound commanded by A. Fyodorov had 12 guerrilla groups, totaling 5462 fighters.

In March 1943, by the order of the Ukrainian Staff Connection of Partisan Movement, Chernigov region guerrilla groups were transformed into two compounds: one headed by A. Fyodorov, and the other – by N. Popudrenko.

On March 11, 1943 partisan unit commanded by A. Fyodorova came inroad from Chernigov onto the right bank Ukraine. From March to June 1943 A. Fyodorov’s unit relocated to Volyn, extending the zone of action in Hitler’s home front, in addition to the territory of the Ukraine, the regions of Belarus, Bryansk and Orel.

In April 1943, A. Fedorov was promoted to the rank of Major-General.

The operation known in history as – “Kovel knot” was an outstanding one to be held by the Chernigov-Volhynia compound. From July 7, 1943 to March 14, 1944 Fyodorov’s guerillas destroyed 549 enemy trains with ammunition, fuel, military equipment and manpower in Kovel railway hub.

In addition to directing military operations A. Fyodorov carried out extensive work to establish the Party organizations in the occupied territories and to mobilize the Soviet people against the Nazi invaders.

During the stay in Volhynia underground RC established 11 underground district party committees, 28 anti-fascist groups, 9 underground Komsomol district committees and 61 primary Komsomol organizations.

Until the last few days, until the Red Army liberated the Volhynia region, the guerrillas commanded by A. Fyodorov did not stop fighting. They had 158 significant battles with the enemy. They destroyed a lot of manpower and equipment, derailed trains and 8,675 armored trains, blew up 47 railway and highway bridges, dozens of kilometers of railway lines, 26 tank farms and storages of fuel, 39 warehouses with ammunition and military equipment.

By the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet on January 4, 1944 for his outstanding achievements in the development of the guerrilla movement, his courage and heroism, Major General Alexey Fyodorov was again awarded the honorary title of Hero of the Soviet Union, the Order of Lenin and the Gold Star medal (№ 15).

In late-March of 1944 Chernigov-Volhynia partisan unit commanded by A. Fedorov met advance units of the advancing Red Army. At the time of the dissolution the connection numbered 5,257 people.

In April 1944, A. Fyodorov was sent to the leading party work. From April 1944 to January 1949 he worked as First Secretary of Kherson, in 1950 - Izmail, and from 1952 - Zhitomir regional committee of the Communist Party of the Ukraine. In 1950 he studied at the courses at the Academy of Social Sciences at the Central Party Committee.

From 1957 to 1979, the legendary guerrilla commander, was the permanent head of the Ministry for Social Welfare of the Ukrainian SSR. He was a member of the Presidium of the Soviet War Veterans Committee, Chairman of the Commission for the former partisans of the Great Patriotic War of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Ukrainian SSR. He was elected a deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the 1st - 11th convocations, deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the Ukrainian SSR of the 1st-7th convocations.

Since 1979, he managed social and political work. He lived in Kiev. He died on September 9, 1989. He was buried at Baikovoye cemetery in Kiev.

He was awarded six Orders of Lenin, the Order of the October Revolution, the 1st Class Order of Suvorov, the 1st Class Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky, the 1st Class Order of the Patriotic War, the 2nd Class Order of the Patriotic War, the Order of the Red Banner of Labor, the Order of the Red Star and medals.

A bronze bust of twice Hero of the Soviet Union, A. Fyodorov was set in his homeland - in Dnepropetrovsk. A street in Thorez (Donetsk region) was named after him.

A memorial plaque was installed In Kiev at house number nine in Zankovetska street where from 1966 to 1989 A. Fyodorov lived.
 



© 2022  ECC Sokolniki
   |   
Project Coordinator:
Pavel Revenko
Tel.: +7 495 995 0595

 

   |       |   
International Exhibition of Calligraphy
   |   
Contemporary Museum of Calligraphy